Who are We?
AZ Solutions, LLC is a startup company that is supported by the Michigan State University (MSU) Foundation. AZ Solutions was founded in 2017 to solve the biggest problem in orthopedic surgery: the inability to prevent and treat total joint replacement infections. As the potential benefits of our technology are being realized, this mission has expanded to include treatment of chronic wounds and prevention and treatment of other surgical site infections.
The mission of the company is to develop highly efficacious and low-toxicity antimicrobial technologies for combating pathogenic organisms and deadly infections. AZ Solution's patented activated zinc-based technology has a wide range of potential applications as an antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral irrigant, dressing, topical agent, and aerosolized inhalational therapeutic. Our initial focus is on developing a wound/surgical irrigation solution, CleanZinc. The company's long-term goal is to leverage the broad potential of its antimicrobial technology to develop a suite of broad spectrum antibacterial and antiviral products for (1) wound management which includes irrigant, dressing and topical agent and (2) infectious disease management which includes aerosolized therapeutics for respiratory infections and vaginal/cervical/oral irrigants.
General Summary of Duties
We are seeking to hire a Research Scientist to perform basic microbiology, cellular and molecular biology research. The Research Scientist will, under supervision, act as lead/primary technician on basic studies and work closely with the Chief Scientific Officer and Study Director on the development of CleanZinc. She/he will assist the Study Director in planning the studies and project schedules. The individual will be responsible for running studies, laboratory observations, sample collection and performing accurate data collection and reporting.
AZ Solutions is a startup company with a pipeline of technologies being developed for the medical market. For the applicant, there is an opportunity for growth in a company that is working across scientific platforms, multiple scientific disciplines, multiple therapeutic areas, business development, grant applications, regulatory models (510k and IND), investment, strategic alliances and other areas. AZ Solutions offers an environment and opportunity for education, growth and development that is ideal for applicants
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform standard microbiological and tissue culture assays that include, but are not limited to, basic microbiology techniques such as bacteria prep/inoculation, administering test substances by various basic methods, minimum inhibitory/bactericidal concentration (MIC/MBC), in vitro time kill, drop plating, spread plating, plate counting/recording, and tissue culture prep/inoculation
- Collect and record research data and microbiological specimens in compliance with Good Laboratory Practice Regulations (GLPs), Biosafety Level Regulations (BSLs), study protocols and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Input, print and edit computer entries
- Perform study preparation activities including lab prep (media and reagent preparation, tips, tubes), collection tube labeling and room setup
- Follow GLPs, BSLs, SOPs, processes and company policies when performing all job functions
- Read study protocols and extract pertinent information
- Review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements
- Troubleshoot, clean and maintain laboratory equipment and supplies. Maintain clean work areas (e.g.: laboratory area)
- Perform special projects and all other related duties, as assigned
- Education: High school diploma or General Equivalent Degree (G.E.D.). Bachelor’s preferred (B.S) or equivalent in medical or life science or related discipline
- Experience: 2-4 years related experience in medical research or must have fully satisfied technical and experience requirements for the previous level
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above
- Other technical qualifications: Ability to handle common laboratory species. Proficient in basic technical skills and the operation of data collection equipment. Knowledge of GLPs, BSLs and other federal regulations and guidelines relating to medical research. Basic understanding of study design and protocols
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Proficient in basic computer skills
How To Apply
How to apply: Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and the contact information for 2-3 references who are familiar with your work and can speak about your qualifications for this position by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please include a brief description of your long-term career goals and how they will be advanced by your time at AZ Solutions. Applications will be reviewed immediately, and the search will remain open until the position is filled.