Red Cedar Ventures is inspired by Michigan State University’s faculty, staff, and students. Our venture capital fund focuses on growing MSU-based startup companies and accelerating commercialization of MSU technologies.
Our goal is to provide participatory, growth-stage capital to new companies and technologies that have secured lead funding from a venture capital firm.
Opportunity Fund: A General Investment Approach and Criteria
Red Cedar Ventures is committed to Michigan State University’s best and brightest. Consideration and selection for the Opportunity Fund is based on the following criteria:
- The company is commercializing technology that has been created at—and has an active, compliant IP license from—Michigan State University.
- The technology has achieved proof of concept or prototype and is ready for commercial product development.
- The company has identifiable customers and a compelling value proposition.
- The company has a pathway to a viable reimbursement strategy and regulatory approval, when applicable.
- The company has a lead investment from a reputable venture firm or corporate venture arm.
Red Cedar Ventures Pre-Seed Fund
Our Pre-Seed Fund provides validation and “first money” to startups formed to commercialize inventions out of Michigan State University. Our aim is to bridge the gap between MSU research and a company’s commercial launch. Investments from this fund are offered either as grants or convertible notes. Direct equity investment is available.
The pre-seed fund deploys $750K per year to over ten projects. For startups that successfully reach their benchmarks, Red Cedar Ventures’s Opportunity Fund can then become a follow-on option.
Pre-Seed Fund: A General Investment Approach and Criteria
- Technology or startup must be based on a Michigan State University invention or copyright that has been disclosed to Michigan State University Technologies and is under active IP management.
- Startup may be based on a student idea that may not necessarily be owned by Michigan State University.
- The startup must have a clearly defined path towards the necessary Plan, People, and Funding to ensure the success of the venture.
- Full support of the pre-seed fund is predicated upon obtaining matching funding from other investment sources or grant programs.